Six hundred people applied to become police officers with Durham Constabulary in just two weeks, after a recent recruitment campaign.
The force announced on 9th October it was seeking a further 50 new police constables, and application forms went online the same day on the force website.
As with previous campaigns, the process closed once a certain number of forms had been successfully completed and delivered to headquarters, either in the post or by hand.
The total for this intake was 600, which was reached on 23rd October, a fortnight after the announcement was made.
Staff from the human resources department have completed the initial eligibility sift and are awaiting an analysis of competency levels from an independent assessor at the national College of Policing.
That is expected any day now, following which candidates who have passed the first phase will be invited to a formal assessment centre to be held at Harperley Hall, near Crook in early January.
Those who did not make the grade will be contacted to thank them for applying and providing feedback.
“It is great news so many people want to join a force which only last month was classed by an official report as the best performing in the country,” said Assistant Chief Officer, Gary Ridley.
“We look forward to seeing this new intake on the streets of County Durham and Darlington in due course.”
Durham Police and Crime Commissioner, Ron Hogg said: "The high number of applicants wanting to join our police service is a reflection of the commitment and standards of our officers and staff.
"I am confident the successful applicants will build on this ethos by continuing to support victims and keep our communities safe."
Posted on Friday 6th November 2015