Celebration of Superheroes logo
EMBARGOED UNTIL 00:01, MONDAY 16TH NOVEMBER 2015
When: Monday 16th November 2015, 6pm-7pm.
Where: Durham Constabulary HQ, Aykley Heads, Durham.
Who: Photo and interview opportunities with prize winners and PCC Ron Hogg.
REAL-life superheroes are to be recognised for the outstanding contribution they make to their local community.
The unsung heroes will be presented with a certificate and prize at an event hosted by Ron Hogg, Durham Police and Crime commissioner, on Monday 16th November.
Residents were able to nominate their local superhero at a 'Celebration of Superheroes' public event hosted by Ron at Sedgefield Racecourse on 31st October, which was attended by over a thousand people from across County Durham and Darlington. The winners will be awarded for their tireless work to support vulnerable people, fundraising to support their communities and dedication to providing activities for young people.
Ron said: "There are many individuals who do so much for our community, yet often their contribution goes unnoticed.
"The recent event at Sedgefield celebrated the work of local organisations large and small, community groups and volunteers, all of whom are our every-day local superheroes.
"Residents had the opportunity to fill a nomination form in to say who their superhero is and why. A handful of these special individuals have been invited on Monday to be recognised for the work they do to help improve the lives of others."
Providing safety messages to children in an interactive way was also a key part of the family fun day. Children were able to enter competitions focused, for example, around road safety and antisocial behaviour.
Ron added: “I'm also delighted to present the other competition winners with their prizes on Monday evening. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the organisations who got involved and kindly donated a prize."
Competition prizes include tickets to Beamish, Diggerland and the Gala Theatre, two new children’s bikes and a child's ride in a police car with a tour of the road policing unit.
Note to editors:
- Four residents are being awarded by Ron Hogg for being a local superhero:
- One lady for the work she does for helping vulnerable women cope with a variety of issues in Stanley;
- One lady for support individuals through hate crime incidents and her work for the community, particularly around disabilities;
- One gentleman for his long-term dedication to fund-raising and event organising in his community;
- Another gentleman for actively providing out of school football coaching for young people around the Trimdon area and his voluntary work in sports.
- A further 30-40 people are attending, many of which (are children) will be presented with their competition prizes.
- Click here to view the original event press release
NOTE: If would like to attend (to confirm numbers), please email: Nyama.Johnson@durham-pcc.gov.uk, or Tel: 07824 460493 as soon as possible
Posted on Monday 16th November 2015