Meet Libby Wright...
A message to the young people of County Durham and Darlington from Libby Wright, your newly elected Young Police, Crime and Victims' Commissioner:
"Together, we can make County Durham and Darlington a better place."
My name is Libby and I am the Young Police, Crime and Victims’ Commissioner (PCVC) for County Durham and Darlington. I want to represent the interests of young people in County Durham and Darlington as we work together to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour, and make all our communities safer.
I was elected as the Young Police, Crime and Victims’ Commissioner (PCVC) by my fellow Police Cadets. In November I chaired a committee meeting of Police Cadets and Mini Police at Darlington Town Hall. The committee and I agreed to fund the following projects:
- a website for schools, to help teachers plan lessons on topics such as road safety, internet safety and reducing crime
- a project to enable young people to be involved in a samba band, giving young people confidence and a stake in society
- 7 fun sessions involving motorbike activities, such as graphic design for motorbikes and looking after motorbikes. The sessions will be aimed at young people who have been in trouble
- a series of projects for disabled teenagers, looking at topics such as alcohol, drugs, bullying, hate crime
- youth club sessions to help young people learn to be safe when using the internet
I’m pleased that the Committee has funded some projects which will make a real difference to people’s lives. I really want to give young people a voice during my time as Young PCVC and I will continue to ask how the Police, and other service providers, are prioritising the things which young people feel strongly about.
Thomas Jones, a Youth Worker from Pelton Community Association said:
"I would like to go on record saying how fantastic I think this particular funding stream is, keeping young people at the helm of the application and decision making process, as a youth worker, I think its wonderful and I hope it continues into the future."
Follow me on Twitter
Follow my new Twitter account @YoungPCVC to recieve regular updates on what I am up to in my role as the Young PCVC.
Watch my challenging questions to Chief Constable
Visit the DurhamPCVC YouTube account to watch me hold the Chief Constable Mike Barton to account.